The robotics group at the School of Information Science and Technology (SIST), lead by Sören Schwertfeger, is working on various aspects of intelligent mobile robotics, including but not limited to robot performance evaluation, and map evaluation, robot autonomy and intelligence, object detection, simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) and urban search and rescue robotics. We invite highly motivated individuals with a Ph.D. degree to work with us in these exciting research areas. The projects in our group are currently generously funded by Shanghai municipal government.
The School of Information Science and Technology (SIST) in the newly founded ShanghaiTech University has identified Robotics as one of its central areas of research. China is the biggest and fastest growing robotics market in the world, and the cosmopolitan Shanghai is right in the center of that development, hosting a multitude of robotics and high-tech companies (e.g. ABB, FANUC, KUKA, SIASUN, …). Located in the Zhangjiang High-Tech Park, ShanghaiTech is offering an excellent research environment with generous start-up support, copious collaboration opportunities (within the School and University; with the Chinese Academy of Science; with Industry and other local Universities), outstanding students and brand new campus facilities. You will be working withing the newly founded ShanghaiTech Automation and Robotics Center (STAR Center).
- Conduct research independently
- Contribute to the projects of the robotics group
- Help supervising students
- PhD degree in computer science or related areas.
- Good publication track record in international conferences and journals.
- Good hands-on experience in implementing and testing complex algorithms on real robots.
- Prior experience with ROS and field robotics is a big plus.
- Good communication skills and capability of co-supervising research students.
- Fluent in oral and written English.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit (all in English) a cover letter, a CV including copies of three representative publications, and two letters of reference to: soerensch (at) shanghaitech.edu.cn. We provide very competitive salary and benefits for this post.